Vehicle Excise Tax and Registration

Payment of excise tax is required on all vehicles in the town of residence. 


To re-register your vehicle, we need the previous registration, proof of insurance and current mileage.


We now process new registrations for trucks, cars and trailers including plate issuance.

 If the vehicle was purchased from a Maine licensed dealer, please bring the following:

1. Proof of paid sales tax
2. Owner copy of title application
3. Previous registration of vehicle traded or sold if plates are being transferred
4. Proof of insurance
5. Current mileage

If a NEW car, it is MANDATORY to have the Monroney Label or window sticker. This became law on September 19, 1997.


If the vehicle was purchased by private sale, please bring the following:

1. Bill of sale

2. Previous owner's title if less than 25 years old

3. Proof of insurance

4. Current mileage


 Trailer Registrations: You have a choice to register for either 1 or 2 years.


For questions contact: Town Clerk at 207-236-9648 Ext 1.

Please note: Quotes for new registrations will not be given over the phone because we need to see the appropriate paperwork to determine fees.