Frequently Asked Questions


 What is the physical address of the Town Office?

101 Main Street

Rockport, Maine 04856

 What is the mailing address for the Town Office?

101 Main Street

Rockport, Maine 04856

 Trailer Registration


Trailer registrations are done at Motor Vehicle Bureau in Rockland.


Can be done at the Town Office if you bring in last year's registrations.

You have a choice to register for either 1 or 2 years.

Contact: Town Clerk at 207-236-9648 X 1 or Motor Vehicle Bureau in Rockland at 207-596-2255

 Dog Licenses

Dog licensing ensures rabies vaccination, which protects the health of your pet.

Maine State law requires dogs over 6 months of age to be licensed.  Dog licenses expire on December 31st each year.  Per State Law, a $25 late fee will be imposed upon all dog licenses renewed after January 31st.

The current dog license fee, without the late fees are:

  • $6.00 for spayed or neutered dogs; and
  • $11.00 for unaltered male or female dogs

When you license your dog, you must present a Certificate of Rabies Vaccination, which must show that the immunization is effective at time of licensure.  For dogs vaccinated in other states, a certificate of immunization consistent with the requirements of the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians in effect at the time of licensure will be considered acceptable.

The first time you license your pet, please bring a neutering certificate if the dog has been neutered or spayed.

Please feel free to contact the Clerk's office at 236-9648 X 1 with any questions.

 Vital Records

The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for the permanent storage of all vital records (i.e. birth, marriage and death records). Individuals may request certified copies of a vital record from the Clerk’s Office for a fee of:

  • $15.00 for the first copy; and
  • $6.00 for each additional copy of the same record 


On July 12, 2010, a new law preventing fraudulent use of vital records went into effect. Vital records include birth certificates, fetal death and death certificates, marriage certificates, and domestic partner registrations. Maine’s new law will require a person requesting a copy of records less than 100 years old to provide documentation establishing their direct and legitimate interest in the records.

Until now, Maine has been one of just a handful of states that have allowed anyone, including individuals with bad intentions and for profit entities, access to these records. Information from vital records will become completely open to the public 100 years from the date of the event.

Individuals who may access vital records less than 100 years old include:

  • The person named on the record;
  • The person’s spouse or registered domestic partner;
  • The parent(s) named on the record;
  • Descendants of the person named on the record;
  • Registrant’s legal custodian, guardian, or conservator or respective authorized representative (includes attorney, physician, or funeral director); and
  • Genealogists who have a Maine CDC issued researcher identification card.

Proof of identity must also be presented to the municipal and city clerks or state Vital Records Office staff. A brief application for securing a copy of the vital record must be filled out and presented, along with positive identification such as a driver’s license, passport, or other government issued picture identification that clearly shows that the person requesting the record is who they say they are. Proof of direct lineage is also required when requesting records of a parent or grandparent. Identification and lineage requirements apply whether the records are requested in person or by mail.

More information on this issue may be found at

Birth Certificates are filed with: 

  • The City or Town in which the child was born;
  • The City or Town in which the mother was living at the time of the birth; and
  • The State Office of Health Data and Program Management (formerly known as the Office of Vital Records) 

Marriage Certificates are filed with: 

  • The City or Town in which intentions were filed and the license was issued; and
  • The State Office of Health Data and Program Management (formerly known as the Office of Vital Records) 

Death Certificates are filed with: 

  • The City or Town of residence at the time of death;
  • The City or Town where the death occurred; and
  • The State Office of Health Data and Program Management (formerly known as the Office of Vital Records) 

 What is the main telephone number for the Town Office?


 What is the fax number for the Town Office?


 Hunting and Fishing License

Note: Rockport residents only.

Residents must meet all these requirements to be eligible to purchase a resident hunting or fishing license: Must be domiciled in Maine continuously for three months prior to applying for the license; must be in compliance with Maine Income Tax Laws; if licensed to drive, must have made application for or possess a Maine Drivers license; all motor vehicles owned by applicant and located in Maine must be registered in Maine; and if registered to vote, applicant must be registered to vote in a Maine Town. Applicant must comply all the rules mandated by the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.

New: Must bring evidence of a previous hunting (or archery) license or proof of completion of Maine Hunter Safety Course.

Contact: Town Clerk at 207-236-9648 X 1

 Marriage License

Persons wishing to be married in the State of Maine must apply for a marriage license from the Town Clerk's office.  Residents of the State of Maine intending to be joined in a marriage shall record notice of their intentions in the office of the Clerk of the municipality in which at least one of them resides.  If only one party resides in the State, the parties shall record notice of their intentions in the office of the Clerk of the municipality which the resident resides.  If both parties to a marriage reside outside the State, they must file intentions in any municipal office.  Once the intentions are filed and the license is issued the parties are free to marry anywhere within Maine.

If either party has been previously married, he or she must submit with the application a certified copy of the divorce decree or annulment of the last marriage or the death certificate of the last spouse.  If both parties have been previously married, they both must submit the certificates or certified copies.  Marriage licenses cannot be issued without this documentation.

There is no waiting period in Maine.  After the notice of intentions of marriage has been filed the Clerk will issue the license, which is valid for 90 days from the date the intentions were filed.

The fee for a marriage application is $40.  Following the ceremony the license is permanently filed with the Town Clerk of the municipality in which it was originally issued.  Certified copies can be obtained from the Clerk for a fee of $15 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy issued at the same time.

Contact: Town Clerk at 207-236-9648 X 1

 What are the emergency phone numbers for Rockport?

Emergency Calls:

Fire:  911

Ambulance:  911

Non-Emergency Calls:

Fire:  236-4437

Ambulance:  236-8087

Police:  236-2026

 Boat Registration

New: Please bring bill of sale and Maine registration numbers (if already on boat and previously registered in Maine by prior owner). State sales tax on purchase price will be collected on private sale. Maine Dealerships collect sales tax at time of purchase and provide you with an invoice. You will need to bring this at the time of registration.

Renewals: Excise is computed on boat's age and length. The Inland Fisheries fees are based on the horsepower of the motor. ALL BOAT REGISTRATIONS EXPIRE ON DEC. 31.

All boats (residents and non-residents) that are used in freshwaters are required to have the lake protection (milfoil) sticker.

Contact: Town Clerk at 207-236-9648 X 1

Harbormaster for all harbor related needs at 207-236-0676

 Mooring and Tie-Off Renewals

Renewals: All mooring and tie offs bills are mailed in January and are due by May 1st. If payment is not received before May 2nd there is a $50.00 late fee per month until July 1st, which if fees are not paid the mooring and tie-off spots may be re-issued.  

Tie-Off Renewals: All tie-off bills are mailed in January and are due by May 1st (see above for late fee schedule).

Winter Boat Storage: Winter Boat Storage is first given to the people who had storage the previous year. There is a waiting list kept for available openings.

Contact: Town Clerk for billing at 207-236-9648 X 1

Harbormaster for all harbor related needs at 207-236-0676

 Select Board Information

Select Board Meetings: 

The Select Board meetings are held at the Rockport Opera House on the second Monday of the month and the fourth Monday if needed beginning at 6:30 p.m.

Meetings can be watched at




 Committee Information

We invite residents to serve on one of the Town's boards or committees.  Download a committee application form and mail it in or contact the Town Manager's Office at 207-236-0806.

 Property Taxes

Real Estate and Personal Property: Taxes can be paid in full upon receipt of bill or in two installments; the first payment is due by October 15th and the second payment is due by April 15th (unless the date falls on a weekend or holiday).

Interest will be charged at a 9% interest rate on the unpaid balance after those dates. Please include your bill or your account number with your payment to assure proper credit to your account.

We offer a Tax Club Program.

Contact the Town Clerk/Tax Collector at 207-236-9648 X 1

 General Assistance

Office hours are for Rockport citizens by appointment only at the Town Office at 101 Main Street.  Appointments may be scheduled by calling 207-236-0806.

 Vehicle Excise Tax and Registration

Autos and Trucks: Payment of an excise tax is required on all vehicles in the town of residence BEFORE registration. (WE ARE UNABLE TO QUOTE EXCISE TAX FIGURES OVER THE TELEPHONE BECAUSE WE NEED TO SEE THE APPROPRIATE PAPERWORK TO DETERMINE THE CORRECT EXCISE TAX.)
In order to re-register your vehicle, we need the previous registration, proof of insurance and current mileage. We can process limited new registrations. This applies if the vehicle has been purchased from a Maine licensed dealer. Please bring the following:
1. Proof of paid sales tax
2. Blue copy of title application
3. Previous registration of vehicle being traded or sold to which plates are being transferred
4. Proof of insurance
5. Current mileage

If a NEW car, it is MANDATORY to have the Monroney Label or window sticker. This became law on September 19, 1997.

The State of Maine does not send reminder notices for vehicle registration renewals. Also please remember to check your inspection sticker each year.

 ATV and Snowmobile Registrations

ATV's and Snowmobiles: In addition to renewals, we also process registrations for new ATV's and snowmobiles.

A bill of sale is needed, and a 5.5% sales tax on the purchase price will be collected on private sales. Maine Dealerships collect sales tax at time of purchase and provide you with a proof of sales tax being paid (invoice). You will need to bring this at the time of registration. The resident snowmobile registration fee is $45.00 and an ATV registration is $70.00. A $2.00 agent fee will be charged for new registrations and $1.00 for renewals.

Contact the Town Clerk at 207-236-9648 X 1

Inland Fisheries & Wildlife at 287-8000

 What are the hours of the Mid-Coast Solid Waste Corporation (transfer station)?

Tuesday - Saturday:  8 AM - 4 PM

Closed Sunday and Monday

Michael Martunas, Facility Manager,

Contact:  207-236-2467

 Voter Registration

In order to vote, you must be a United States citizen, live in Maine, be at least 18 years old and be registered to vote in the municipality where you live.  You may register at the Rockport Town Office during regular business hours.  You may also register at the polls on Election Day.  Proof of residency and proof of identity is required, such as a driver's license or State ID card with your current street address on it (not a post office box).  If your driver's license or photo ID does not have your current street address, you should also bring something with your Rockport address on it such as a utility bill or bank statement.

Contact the Town Clerk at 207-236-9648 X 1

 Where can I get yellow dump bags and how much do they cost?

The yellow garbage bags are now available at the Transfer Station.  They are available in packages of five for $12.50 or 10 small bags for $15.00.  Residents may also purchase bags at their own Town Office in Camden, Rockport, Hope, or Lincolnville.

They are also available at EBS, Rankins, Hannaford, French & Brawn, Western Auto and Megunticook Market.

Bags are required in order to dispose of residential trash.

Contact the transfer station at 207-236-7958.

  Rockport Library Information

Mailing address: PO Box 8, Rockport, ME 04856
Physical address: 485 Commercial Street

Hours: Monday through Saturday 9 to 5:30, Wednesday 11 until 8.

Free cards to all Rockport residents and taxpayers, all who are employed in Rockport, and all students in Knox and Waldo Counties. Non-resident cards available to others for an annual fee.

Contact: Ben Blackmon, Library Director, 236-3642


Bill Payment: Bills are sent quarterly to the property owner directly, not a tenant. Please have your bill(s) or your account numbers(s) with you when payments are made to ensure proper credit to your account(s).

Contact Wastewater Billing at 207-236-8428 or 1-800-287-1643
Contact the Wastewater Plant at 207-230-0445